Strength By Design
December 21, 2014, 07:13:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We have MOVED! Join us now at LIFT.net

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

24 hour fasting produces a 2000% increase in growth hormone in men

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 hour fasting produces a 2000% increase in growth hormone in men  (Read 1721 times)
Joe
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »

Finally! What empirical data was showing us was that intermittent fasting was showing a great propensity to save lean tissue while losing fat.

Turns out, research coming out of the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute showed a HUGE increase in human growth hormone in men and women. 2000% for men and 1300% for women.

Other findings

The discovery expands upon a 2007 Intermountain Healthcare study that revealed an association between fasting and reduced risk of coronary heart disease, the leading cause of death among men and women in America. In the new research, fasting was also found to reduce other cardiac risk factors, such as triglycerides, weight, and blood sugar levels.

The findings were presented on April 3, at the annual scientific sessions of the American College of Cardiology in New Orleans.

If anyone remembers awhile back through my research on fasting and it's medicinal uses I said I thought it would be a good idea to throw in 24 hour fasts here and there. I remember Future saying it was a horrible idea lol, but now my assumptions are actually being recommended by a host of scientists.

Parameters of the study were:

"In this most recent trial, researchers conducted two fasting studies of over 200 individuals -- both patients and healthy volunteers -- who were recruited at Intermountain Medical Center. A second 2011 clinical trial followed another 30 patients who drank only water and ate nothing else for 24 hours. They were also monitored while eating a normal diet during an additional 24-hour period. Blood tests and physical measurements were taken from all to evaluate cardiac risk factors, markers of metabolic risk, and other general health parameters."

View the whole article here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm

By the way, the one researched noted that it may be something prescribed for type II diabetes. Truth is, fasting has been prescribed for probably thousands of years for a host of things. Itss just not a popular prescription with so many pills to push,and probably never will be.

ntermountain Medical Center (2011, April 3). Routine periodic fasting is good for your health, and your heart, study suggests. ScienceDaily

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:54:55 pm by Joe » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

jmhester1956
SBD Verified

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:56:35 pm »

Excellent post! Help me make a decision to fast every so often.
Dr. Carlon Colker talked about a structure fast in extreme muscle enhancement. His idea was to do it when you get sick of eating and only do it for one day. He said to have a protein shake in the morning and then stop eating for the rest of the day.
My idea is to do it once per month and do it for 2 days on the weekend. I'll let you know how it works.
Report Spam   Logged
PaleRider
SBD Verified

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »

I also read that book & remember that suggestion jmhester. Was one of the first things I thought of when Wes started hyping the WD.

I have a friend who, his whole adult life, has only eaten 1 meal/ day. & that is a really big dinner. No food all day long, just coffee. He wasn't doing this for any athletic purposes, but just from habit. Oh, my friend was also benching 500 lbs at 40 years of age!
Report Spam   Logged
president_fad
Uber Strengeth verified, like the best
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:42:43 pm »

i fast most all of saturday, so my last meal friday nite and then fast till like 8 all day.  Its kinda nice to let my body have a break.
Report Spam   Logged
B.Money
PL Competitor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 10:45:26 pm »

Hmmm interesting!
Report Spam   Logged

Our new lifting forum: join us at http://Lift.net
jmhester1956
SBD Verified

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:52:19 pm »

i fast most all of saturday, so my last meal friday nite and then fast till like 8 all day.  Its kinda nice to let my body have a break.

I was really considering doing that myself. After scarfing all those meals during the week, it would be nice to have a break.
I might try your way this week. Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged
Joe
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:59:18 pm »

It's true, it's almost a relief not to worry about having to eat. I may do something like this as well
Report Spam   Logged
dbcb314
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 05:14:12 pm »

I generally do that every Monday. Fast 7-7 or 8-8.
Report Spam   Logged
Butosai

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:12:17 am »

Also seems like besides the growth hormone thing that it would give digestion a rest for us athletes.
Report Spam   Logged

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 03:10:57 pm »

For those of you that liked Joe's post but want to read more relevant research and studies backing up 1-2 24 hour fasts I highly recommend picking up the revised edition of ESE (Eat-Stop-Eat) by Brad Pilon.  Never gets over the top with his explanations (although I admit it's 178 pages worth of saying to fast twice per week lol).  I was turned onto it after reading Berkhan strongly recommend it.   I've been doing two 24 hour fasts along with Scott Dixon (SB) and it definitely works.  No strength loss and it's the easiest fat loss I've ever experienced (two fasts automatically puts you in a deficit by week's end with normal eating).

The Fasted State 21
The Disappearance of the Fasted State 24
Forget Everything You Have Ever Read About Fasting 28
Fasting and Your Metabolism 32
Fasting and Exercise 38
Fasting and your Brain 44
Fasting and Your Muscle Mass 46
Fasting and Hunger 53
Fasting and Blood Sugar Levels 59
Other Misconceptions of Fasting 63
The Health Benefits of Fasting 74
Decreased Insulin Levels & Increased Insulin Sensitivity 79
Decreased Blood Glucose Levels 82
Increased Lipolysis and Fat Burning 83
Increased Glucagon Levels 87
Increased Epinephrine and Norepinephrine levels 89
Increased Growth Hormone Levels 90
Increased Weight Loss and Increased Fat Loss 96
Decreased Chronic Inflammation 98
Increased Cellular Cleaning 102
Health Benefits The Conclusion 106
The Eat Stop Eat Way of Life 108
How to fast Eat Stop Eat style 111
How to Eat Eat Stop Eat style 115
What to do While Fasting 125
How to work out with Eat Stop Eat 128
Designing your own workout program 134
Sticking with it 135
A note on cardio for weight loss 136
Other Health Benefits of Exercise 141
How to keep it off 142
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:13:14 pm by 0311 » Report Spam   Logged
Popeye

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:01:33 am »

has anyone else from here been doing this?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: